Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Week 1: 10 miles... Rough Start!


I'm really excited to start blogging about my experience as I train to run all 26.2 miles of the Boston Marathon while raising more than $5,000 and awareness for the American Liver Foundation!

When I finished the Chilly Half marathon in November, my 2nd half marathon ever, I realized that I wasn't truly pushing myself to the max. I was very comfortable when I crossed the finish line - no injuries (besides my first black toe!), muscles felt good, etc.

So when my friend Heather suggested I apply to run the Boston Marathon with Run for Research with her, I first thought she was a nut case, but I have to admit that she did plant the idea in my head. One night on the bus on the way home from work, I couldn't stop thinking about how I would regret not running and about how if Nicola could go through a transplant, I could certainly run a marathon. The next night I'd applied to join the Run for Research.

This past Saturday was the first 10 mile run... We could have run 6, 8 or 10 miles, but since we like to consider ourselves all-stars, Heather and I took on the full 10 miles. It was definitely not easy, between getting used to each other's pacing, running on hills (I hardly ever run hills), and running on "dead sneakers," I ended up with a little knee pain for the rest of the afternoon, but thankfully that was it! Sunday morning the knee pain was gone and I wasn't sore at all - shocking really!

After buying new sneakers on Sunday, I did the interval training on the treadmill last night. I hated every minute of the treadmill (Monday nights at the gym mean I can't get the treadmills I like), but the knee was back to 100%.

So today I'm posting my fundraising page and taking the first steps to reach my goal of $5,000. Help me reach my goal by visiting my fundraising page!


Happy Tuesday and Lots of Liver Love,
Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment